Current:Home > ScamsColombia moves to protect "holy grail" of shipwrecks that sank over 3 centuries ago with billions of dollars in treasure -Ascend Wealth Education
Colombia moves to protect "holy grail" of shipwrecks that sank over 3 centuries ago with billions of dollars in treasure
TradeEdge View
Date:2025-04-07 02:05:17
Colombia on Wednesday declared a "protected archeological area" around the spot where the legendary San Jose galleon sank off its Caribbean coast more than three centuries ago laden with gold, silver and emeralds believed to be worth billions of dollars.
The designation, said the culture ministry, "guarantees the protection of heritage" through the ship's "long-term preservation and the development of research, conservation and valuation activities."
Dubbed the "holy grail" of shipwrecks, the San Jose was owned by the Spanish crown when it was sunk by the British navy near Cartagena in 1708. Only a handful of its 600-strong crew survived.
The galleon had been heading back from the New World to the court of King Philip V of Spain, bearing chests of emeralds and some 200 tons of gold coins.
Before Colombia announced the discovery in 2015, the ship had long been sought by adventurers.
The value of its bounty has been estimated to run into the billions of dollars.
Culture Minister Juan David Correa insisted Wednesday: "This is not a treasure, we do not treat it as such."
He announced the area's new designation at an event launching the first "non-intrusive" phase of a scientific exploration of the wreck.
In February, Correa told AFP that an underwater robot would be sent to recover some of its bounty.
Spain had laid claim to the ship and its contents under a UN convention Colombia is not party to, while Indigenous Qhara Qhara Bolivians claim the riches were stolen from them.
But the government of President Gustavo Petro has insisted on raising the wreck for purposes of science and culture.
Spanish and Qhara Qhara delegations were present at Wednesday's event.
The wreck is also claimed by U.S.-based salvage company Sea Search Armada -- which insists it found it first more than 40 years ago and has taken Colombia to the U.N.'s Permanent Court of Arbitration, seeking $10 billion.
The exact location of the shipwreck is being kept secret to protect what is considered one of the greatest archaeological finds in history from malicious treasure hunters.
In June 2022, Colombia said that a remotely operated vehicle reached 900 meters below the surface of the ocean, showing new images of the wreckage.
The video showed the best-yet view of the treasure that was aboard the San Jose — including gold ingots and coins, cannons made in Seville in 1655 and an intact Chinese dinner service.
At the time, Reuters reported the remotely operated vehicle also discovered two other shipwrecks in the area, including a schooner thought to be from about two centuries ago.
- In:
- Shipwreck
- Colombia
veryGood! (57117)
Related
- Gen. Mark Milley's security detail and security clearance revoked, Pentagon says
- Low Salt Marsh Habitats Release More Carbon in Response to Warming, a New Study Finds
- If You’re Booked and Busy, Shop the 19 Best Prime Day Deals for People Who Are Always on the Go
- How RZA Really Feels About Rihanna and A$AP Rocky Naming Their Son After Him
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Republicans Propose Nationwide Offshore Wind Ban, Citing Unsubstantiated Links to Whale Deaths
- New Wind and Solar Are Cheaper Than the Costs to Operate All But One Coal-Fired Power Plant in the United States
- Nursing Florida’s Ailing Manatees Back to Health
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- In California’s Central Valley, the Plan to Build More Solar Faces a Familiar Constraint: The Need for More Power Lines
Ranking
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- These Best Dressed Stars at the Emmy Awards Will Leave You in Awe
- Shawn Johnson Weighs In On Her Cringe AF Secret Life of the American Teenager Cameo
- Republicans Propose Nationwide Offshore Wind Ban, Citing Unsubstantiated Links to Whale Deaths
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- BravoCon 2023 Is Switching Cities: All the Details on the New Location
- Marylanders Overpaid $1 Billion in Excessive Utility Bills. Some Lawmakers and Advocates Are Demanding Answers
- Patrick and Brittany Mahomes Are a Winning Team on ESPYS 2023 Red Carpet
Recommendation
Former Syrian official arrested in California who oversaw prison charged with torture
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott defies Biden administration threat to sue over floating border barriers
Landowners Fear Injection of Fracking Waste Threatens Aquifers in West Texas
Coal Ash Along the Shores of the Great Lakes Threatens Water Quality as Residents Rally for Change
Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
Richard Simmons’ Rep Shares Rare Update About Fitness Guru on His 75th Birthday
As Russia bombs Ukraine ports and threatens ships, U.S. says Putin using food as a weapon against the world
Mono Lake Tribe Seeks to Assert Its Water Rights in Call For Emergency Halt of Water Diversions to Los Angeles